The Los Angeles Board of Education is seeking the next superintendent to lead our students, schools and communities on the path to success. We have established important criteria by which we will be measuring candidates.
Our next superintendent will:
- Be bold, courageous and unafraid to make hard decisions in pursuit of equity and academic excellence;
- Understand the financial challenges facing L.A. Unified and be committed to confronting them;
- Have knowledge of Los Angeles and understand the complexities of the community;
- Be a team builder and consensus leader who brings out the best in people;
- Work collaboratively with the board and have political acumen.
We look forward to working with the next superintendent to lead a system of excellence from cradle to career; ensure that adequate and equitable funding reaches classrooms by addressing financial challenges, including liability costs and structural deficits; unlock the potential of all students by addressing historical inequities in student opportunities and achievement; recruit, retain, support, and empower classroom and school leaders to work with our families and strengthen our schools in the context of local control; and confront policies at the local, state, and federal level that are impediments to student achievement, including the chronic underfunding of California public schools.
Community input continues to be essential in this process. Please visit achieve.lausd.net/nextsuperintendent for more information and to share insight.
The deadline to submit applications is March 14, 2018. The board looks forward to interviewing candidates and making a selection in April. This is a confidential search.