The Los Angeles Unified School District is seeking dynamic and confident AmeriCorps VISTA Members to serve at the Parent Community Student Services Branch and its five regional offices, located in the neighborhoods of Echo Park, Downtown, Van Nuys, Gardena, El Sereno and West L.A.
VISTAs will work closely with district-level Parent and Community Engagement professionals with classroom and social work backgrounds to build the capacity of LAUSD staff and parents to support student achievement.
Example of VISTA duties will include:
• Training school staff and parent volunteers in the LAUSD Volunteer Program
• Training school staff and parent volunteers in parent education outreach strategies and curriculum
• Recruiting community-based organizations and nonprofits to support these efforts in schools
• Must be 18 years or older.
• Must have reliable transportation and insurance.
• Must have high school diploma or GED and a 4-year college degree from an accredited institution.
• Must commit to one full year of service (September 1, 2013 to August 31, 2014).
• Strong computer skills. Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint). Social media, online calendar, web research, design/promotional work.
• Communication skills. Must present to small and large audiences using technology. Written and oral communication with staff, stakeholders, community groups.
• Social skills. Desire to work with diverse populations, good team player, persistence, humility.
• Management skills. Able to prioritize, multi-task, follow through on simultaneous overlapping projects. Defines roles, including your own. Uses calendars.
• Genuine desire to make a difference in an underserved community.
• Spanish bilingual highly preferred.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply on the AmeriCorps website: https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?id=50615. The application window closes on July 8. If you have any questions or concerns write to email@example.com. More information about LAUSD VISTA at http://vista.lausd.net.