How do I remove my phone number from the District's automated call centers?

The District has a special phone number to use to report errant numbers listed with our call centers: please call 213 241-0875 to report the problem. You may be directed to leave your information with a message service; if so, please do so, and the number should be removed within 48 hours.

Since automated calls may come directly from a school as well as from our central call centers, It is always a good idea to contact the school directly if you know which school has your number in their system. To find a list of schools in your neighborhood along with their contact information, use our school finder where you can search by zip code.

How Do I Enroll My Child in School?

To locate your LAUSD school of residence, use the School Finder.

If the school is not in your neighborhood, there are several enrollment options:

Choices Program
Residents of the LAUSD may participate in the Magnet, Permits with Transportation (PWT) and Public School Choice (PSC) Programs. Visit the Student Integration Services website for more information.

School For Advanced Studies (SAS)
These District programs are designed for students identified as gifted, highly gifted, and/or students who demonstrate superior academic achievement with appropriate documentation. Visit the Gifted/Talented Programs Office website for more information.

Open Enrollment
Schools with designated available seats will accept applications during May. In schools where applications exceed space, a random drawing will be held in June.

Charter Schools
Charter schools are public schools with an innovative, rigorous standards-based and standards-aligned curriculum authorized by LAUSD and approved by the State of California. To apply, contact the school directly. Visit the Innovation and Charter Schools Division website for more information. 

Under new law, the entrance age requirements for kindergarten have changed as follows:
  • For 2012-2013: Students must be five on or before November 1, 2012.
  • For 2013-2014: Students must be five on or before October 1, 2013.
  • For 2014-2015: Students must be five on or before September 1, 2014.
Thereafter, the age requirement remains on or before September 1st of the year in which the child wishes to enroll. Under District policy, there are no exceptions to this age requirement for kindergarten.

The California Open Enrollment Act, SBX5 4 (Romero) establishes a list of 1,000 “low achieving” schools for each school year. Parents/guardians of students at one of the 1,000 California Open Enrollment schools have the option to request a transfer to another school with a higher API score within the district or outside of the district. The application period is from November 1, 2013through January 1, 2014 to be considered for enrollment in the 2014-2015 school year. Learn about the California Open Enrollment, Act SBX 5 4 (Romero), and student transfer options available to parents/families. Details here

Permits and Student Transfers

INTER District Permits (To or From LAUSD and another School District)
The permit application period for the 2012-13 school year closed on April 30, 2012.  If you need to request a permit for the current 2012-13 school year an appeal needs to be filed directly with the Los Angeles County Office of Education (LACOE).  Their appeal information can be found at http://www.lacoe.edu/
The applications for the 2013-14 school year became available February 1, 2013. The online application can be accessed at http://permits.lausd.net
OUTGOING inter-district permit application period will close on April 30, 2013. The only application available after that date is for Parent Employment.
INCOMING inter-district permits do not have a closing date and are available throughout the year.
Please read the information related to the permit process to ensure that all needed documents are provided. Incomplete applications will not be processed and will be abandoned after 30 days. Only one online permit application per school year will be processed per student.  
INTRA District Permits (One LAUSD School To Another LAUSD school)
Permit applications from one LAUSD school to another can be obtained at any school and need to signed and approved by both the home school and the school requested.  
For more information and access to the online INTER DISTRICT application, please visit: http://studentpermits.lausd.net or call (213) 241-5255.
  • How do I Renew my Permit Application?
    • Permits will be granted only if the applicant is eligible, the school administrator approves and if space is available at the grade level being requested.
    • Returning students (on permit) have priority over new permits provided they continue to meet the eligibility.
  • What are the Submission Procedures?
    • To be considered for a permit, the student must have been released from the District Of Residence.
    • The permit application and supporting documentation will be the basis upon which permits are approved or denied.

What Is the Age Requirement for Kindergarten?

Presently, a child may enroll in kindergarten if he or she will turn five on or before December 2 of the year of registration.

What are the Required Immunizations to Enroll?

LAUSD and Los Angeles County Health Department regulations require that complete health and immunization records for incoming kindergarteners and students new to the district must be presented in written form and authorized or signed by a public health clinic, health care provider or private doctor before a student can begin attending classes. The health records should be brought when parents come to pre-register their children for the new school year. There is no grace period: all immunizations must be up to date before a youngster can attend school. Parents with additional questions may contact the school or call School Nursing Services, (213) 763-8374.

What is Open Enrollment and How Do I Apply?

This program allows parents to apply for designated "open enrollment" seats at specific campuses. In recent years, the number of available seats has declined steadily. The application process typically occurs during May for the following school year. A list of the schools with open enrollment seats is usually available in the main office of any school, beginning in late April or early May. Also check the LAUSD website www.lausd.net for periodic announcements.

There is no limit on the number of schools to which a parent/guardian may apply for open enrollment. If the number of applications received at a school is less than the number of available seats, all the students who applied are invited to enroll. If the applications are greater than the number of seats, a drawing is held to determine the students' given seats. Schools that still have space available after the deadline usually will be able to register open enrollment students up to the second Friday of the school calendar for that campus.

Where can I get information about Special Education?
Parents can contact the Division of Special education at (213) 241-6701 or visit their website.

Where can I get information about Gifted and Talented Programs?
Parents can contact Gifted and Talented Programs at (213) 241-6500 or visit their website.

How do I get High School Transcripts?

If you attended school up to the year 1999, please follow these procedures to obtain a transcript. Please send a written request to the:

Student Records
P.O. Box 3307
Los Angeles, CA 90051

An official form to request Transcripts is available on the bottom of the page.

The request should include:
The correct spelling of your name while attending school
Date of birth
Place of birth
Name of school attended
Date graduated if applicable
Driver's license number or social security number for ID
Money order payable to Los Angeles Unified School District
Name of parents
Sign and date the request

If you have questions or need information regarding pricing, please call Student Records at (323) 224-5950 or visit the website for Transcripts (Student Records Unit).

Federal Breakfast and Lunch Program

Free and Reduced Breakfast and Lunch Program: LAUSD participates in the National School Lunch and School Breakfast Programs. Meals are served to students every school day. The household size and income criteria are used to determine a student's eligibility for free, reduced-price or full-price benefits. A copy of the policy is available in the Food Services Office and may be reviewed by any interested party.

Does the LAUSD Rank Its Schools?

No. The Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) does not rank its schools. The Accountability Progress Report (APR) from the California Department of Education provides schools and school districts with information about their annual progress on the state Academic Performance Index (API) and their results on the federal Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) report. Click below to review the LAUSD's latest Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) report and the progress of individual schools.